Our Mission is to maintain peace and order by providing high quality police services that are responsive to the needs of the community. We protect life and property by apprehending those who commit criminal acts, by developing partnerships to prevent, reduce, or eliminate neighborhood problems and by providing police services that are fair, professional and respectful of the dignity of all individuals.
Our staff is committed to public safety and improving the quality of life in Cranberry Township. Please feel free to contact us at 724-776-5180 with your comments or questions.
- Cranberry Township was originally patrolled by the Pennsylvania State Police
- In 1956 a part-time force was established with two men
- In 1971 a full-time police department was established under former Chief John R. Scarfo. Chief Scarfo retired in 1996.
- In 1996, the Township appointed it's first Public Safety Director, retired Brigadier General Steve Mannell
Director Mannell expanded the use of technology and continued to plan for the Police Department's future growth. During his tenure the Township saw the addition of a new police station, a new data management system and a public safety training center, which is used by the Police and Fire Department. Director Mannell retired in 2007.
- In 2007, Jeffrey Schueler was appointed as Director of Public Safety. Det. Kevin Meyer was promoted to Lieutenant and was responsible for police operations.
- January 2015- Lt. Kevin Meyer promoted to Chief of Police
- Today - The department is staffed by 28 sworn officers with three full time and two part-time police clerks
Our staff includes:
- Director of Public Safety
- (1) Chief of Police, (1) Administrative Sergeant, (1) Detective Sergeant, (1) Patrol Sergeant and (4) Patrol Corporals
- (20) Patrol Officers
- (5) Police Administrators: Three full time, Two part-time
- Detectives - Conduct general investigations and lead drug enforcement efforts
- Crash Reconstruction - Four officers are certified to investigate significant motor vehicle collisions
- Community Relations - Our Community Relations Officer supervises all community crime prevention efforts
- Firearms Instruction - Four instructors provide guidance in the safe and proper use of handguns, shotguns, rifles
- Tactics Instructions - Three officers provide instruction in the safe use of pepper spray, ASP batons and restraint techniques
- Child Safety Seat Inspection - Four officers are certified in the installation and inspection of child safety seats
- Crime Scene Processing- Our officers are certified in crime scene photography and latent print recovery